CONEL is proud to be one of the Mayor of London’s Construction Academy (MCA) hubs
The College successfully bid to become one of the first hubs in the capital after gaining the MCA Quality Mark in recognition of its high quality training.
Our MCA hub has been backed by many leading construction employers, training providers and local authorities, and will cover the following boroughs:
Haringey, Enfield, Waltham Forest, Barnet, Barking and Dagenham, Islington, Hackney, Camden, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Westminster and City of London.
The Home Builders Federation has reported that the demand for new housing is outsttripping the supply of skilled construction workers, including bricklaers, plumbers and electricians.
The hub will initially support the following major construction projects in the capital:
- £1 billion Tottenham Housing Zone, one of the Mayor's first flagship projects to build 10,000 homes and create 5,000 new jobs by 2025, and the regeneration of Wood Green to build 6,400 homes and create 4,000 jobs.
- £6 billion regeneration at Meridian Water with 10,000 homes and 7,000 jobs created.
- £2 billion regeneration programme to transform Braking and Dagenahm to build 16,000 new homes and 2,2200 jobs at each phase.
The MCA programme aims to:
- Boost the number of skilled workers and opportunities in construction, particularly for women and those from black and ethnic minorities.
- Provide more high-quality training and initiatives across the capital to give Londoners the skills needed to enter and progress in construction.
- Increase collaboration in the sector, particularly between small and medium sized businesses and construction skills training providers.
- Support the development of training provision for the construction of more prefabricated housing in London.
The CONEL hub's theme is Building Services ans Innovation and focuses on the following careers:
- Civil engineering groundworkers
- Traffic/street lighting
- Lift access engineering
- Domestic and commercial gas engineering
- Solar and environmental tecnology
- Air conditioning and ducting
- Sheet metal work
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Domestic and commercial electical installation and maintenance
- Building Management Systems (BMS)
- Security, data and telecommunications.
- Quantitity surveying
- Town planning
- Construction and site administration
The hub will also provide free profeesional training and development for its partners.
MCA Hub News
- Last Updated: 16 August 2019