Commis Chef - Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship
Workplace and College
Hospitality and Culinary Arts
About the Course
The commis chef apprenticeship is suitable for someone who prepares food and carries out cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef.
It is designed to develop craft skills and knowledge within all areas of the operation of a kitchen.
Delivery method – weekly day release.
What You'll Study
- How to undertake set up, prepare and clean to standard whilst working in a challenging, time-bound environment
- Identify the principles of basic food preparation and cooking; taste, allergens, diet and nutrition
- Recognising and understand sources and quality points of common food groups and commodities
- How to understand personal and team performance impact on the successful production of dishes and menu items
- How to understand the basic costing and yield of dishes and the meaning of gross profit
- How to contribute to reviewing and refreshing menus in line with business and customer requirements
- How to work methodically to prioritise tasks, ensuring they are completed at the right moment and to the required standard
- Applying correct preparation and selection methods when using meat, poultry, fish and vegetables in dishes
- Supporting team members to produce dishes and menu items on time to quality standards.
For more information please visit the Institute of Apprenticeships
What Will I Need
You will need:
- To be aged 16 or older
- To be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week with 20% of your normal working hours set aside for you to complete your training and study
All applicants must have an interview and assessment in English and Maths to confirm that the apprenticeship is suitable for them.
Employers may also set additional entry requirements, as a prerequisite to working with them.
The End Point Assessment (EPA) will include:
- An on demand test
- Practical observation
- Culinary challenge
- Professional discussion.
What the Course leads to
Progression from this apprenticeship could be into a hospitality management position.