Basketball Academy trials below:
Friday 21st February 2020: 10am-12pm
Saturday 7th March 2020: 1-3pm
Saturday 16th May 2020: 1-3pm
Saturday 4th July 2020: 1-3pm
To register for a trial, please complete the form below.
Location: Enfield Centre
-Sunday 27th January 2019
-Sunday 24th February 2019
-Saturday 9th March 2019
-Saturday 20th April 2019
-Saturday 11th May 2019
-Saturday 29th June 2019
Trials will be held at our Enfield Centre:
College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
73 Hertford Road
(Sat-Nav EN3 5AL)
The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London is in partnership with the London School of Basketball (LSB) and is the official Basketball Coaching Partner for the College’s Basketball Academy. The Academy's official name is the LSB North London Basketball Academy.
The LSB is London’s biggest basketball development programme and provides coaching, competitions and support for players at all levels from grassroots through to elite. The Academy is linked through the LSB directly into the London City Royals professional team, and the top Academy players have the opportunity to train with London’s premier basketball team. The London City Royals play in the British Basketball League.
The Academy is committed to providing elite training, support, guidance, coaching and competitions to gifted and talented players. With strong links to professional basketball teams and universities throughout Britain – and a bespoke preparation and placement programme for American colleges, players who attend the LSB North London Academy will be well positioned to fulfil their basketball ambitions.
What you get as a College Basketball Academy player:
All Academy players will receive:
- Free training kit, tracksuit and kit bag
- Professional basketball coaching of 6 hours per week in the College's brand new Sports facility at Enfield, by professional basketball coaches with international and US college experience
- Weekly competitive games in College and Community Basketball Leagues
- Affiliation with London's biggest professional club London City Royals
- On site medical support for injury prevention and rehabilitation
- Free membership and use of the brand new College gym and fitness suite
- Free fitness, strength and conditioning, exercise and nutrition programmes designed and monitored for you
In addition to the above, elite Academy players will receive:
- 15 hours of professional basketball coaching per week
- Open access to daily training facilities
- Individual skills development programme
- SAT testing preparation and support
- College/pro placement support
- Opportunity to become a College Sponsored Athlete - value of up to L2500 per year
- Annual travel to the USA and Europe to compete in international competitions
Basketball Academy Selection Criteria
To be eligible to be considered for the Academy, you must be:
- 16-18 years of age on 31 August of the enrolling year
- Enrolled on a full-time programme of study at the College's Enfield Centre
Studying as part of the Basketball Academy
Learners who join the College's Basketball Academy will study at the College's Enfield Centre.
Learners can select ANY full-time course at the College's Enfield Centre while taking part in the Basketball Academy scheme.
Academy Coaching Staff
Academy Head Coach: AJ Roberts
AJ Roberts joined COHENEL Basketball Academy with a reputation as a highly-skilled offensive and defensive coach with a decorated playing career that spans US high school, college and professionally in both America and Europe.
AJ was born in Fresno, California but played his college basketball at Union University (NCAA), where he averaged 14ppg and earned 'All-Region' honours as one of the best players across his division. Roberts transferred to Union from Niagra County (N.Y.) Community College where he played two seasons of standout basketball. He was named third team all-region as a freshman and first team all-region as a sophomore in junior college. Roberts earned the Team MVP award both seasons. In junior college, he averaged 17 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three blocks per game.
Prior to college, Roberts played at Niagara Catholic (N.Y.) High School where he played basketball and football. He led his basketball team to the 2005 and 2007 MMCC Title, along with a Catholic State runner-up in 2007. In high school basketball, Roberts earned first team all-Catholic, defensive MVP, team MVP twice, and team captain three times. His football honors included first team all-Catholic, team MVP, captain and first team all-state.
Professionally, Roberts is currently a member of the London City Royals first team who play in British basketball’s premier league (BBL).
After serving as an assistant to former COHENEL head coach Jay Williams, Roberts feels well- positioned to take the Academy forward and is eager to share his vast playing experiences and technical ‘know-how’ in helping COHENEL Academy players reach the next level.
“I welcome all players to the academy who are interested in becoming the best student-athletes they can be and I’m looking forward to working with each and every player who makes it to our program, in bringing out the best of their potential both on and off the court. I’ve played at JUCO and college in the states, so for players looking for that option or to progress their careers here in the UK or in Europe, I have a unique insight into what it takes and helping develop the skills to make those goals a reality”.
Our Great Facilities
- New L1.5million Sports Centre fully refurbished for September 2014
- Full sized sports hall with resurfaced multisport floor
- Industry standard cardio and resistance training gym
- Bespoke basketball training equipment
- Medical facilities
- High quality changing and disabled facilities
For more information or to register for a trial, complete the Enquiry Form below or call the Course Information Line on 020 8442 3055.
- Last Updated: 22 January 2020