ABOUT THE COURSE
This unit is about the skills and knowledge required by an IT user to select and use a wide range of advanced spreadsheet software tools and techniques to produce, present and check complex and non-routine spreadsheets. Spreadsheet software tools and techniques will be described as ‘advanced’ because: the range of data entry, manipulation and outputting techniques will be complex and non-routine; the tools, formulas and functions needed to analyse and interpret the required information require complex and non-routine knowledge and understanding (for example, data restrictions, data validation using formula, pivot tables, data maps); and the user will take full responsibility for setting up and developing the functionality of the spreadsheet.
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
Topics covered can include:
- Using devices and handling information - the understanding of hardware, software and operating systems including how to organise and store information and solve technical problems
- Creating and editing - the use of a suitable application to enter and edit varied information for a range of purposes and audiences.
- Communicating - identifying and utilising suitable forms of online communication for a range of contexts and audiences.
- Transacting - completing and submitting online forms and making secure online payments for products and services.
- Being safe and responsible online - managing and protecting your privacy and data online and also being mindful of physical and psychological repercussions of extensive online activity
WHAT WILL I NEED?
You do not need to have any previous qualifications.
All applicants must have an initial assessment and interview to confirm that the course is suitable for them.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
The course is assessed with an electronic summative assessment, taken under supervised conditions.
WHAT WILL IT COST?
Entry Level, Level 1, Level 2
If you will be aged 19 or older on 31 August in the year you begin your course, and have been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for the past 3 years, your course will be FREE, regardless of your age or income. Some courses will have other costs associated, such as for materials and trips. Many of our students are eligible for financial support when studying at college – please click here for more information.
WHAT CAN I DO AFTER?
This course will help you to move on to higher level courses, specialising in an area of IT or digital media.