ABOUT THE COURSE
This qualification is for practitioners who wish to support learning in a wide range of contexts. This award can be taken alone and can be useful for those wishing to try out the role, and for others who have learning support as a small part of their wider work role. This award can also provide an important stepping stone for those in related volunteer roles. This qualification allows practitioners to learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment in the learning support sector. This qualification is underpinned by the National Occupational Standards for Learning Support Staff.
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
You will be undertaking the unit in Preparing to support learning. This unit aims to develop the practitioner’s knowledge and understanding of contexts and practice relating to learning support and to enable the practitioner to evaluate and improve learning support practice.
You will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of the learning support within lifelong learning contexts: describe the importance of learning for achieving personal goals and participating in life, learning, and work; identify different contexts for learning support practice; describe the contribution of learning support in the provision of lifelong learning opportunities; describe how to work with learners and others to support learning in a particular lifelong learning context; identify national and local policy and regulatory requirements related to learning support practice.
- Identify values and principles which underpin learning support practice
- Demonstrate understanding of how to support learning
WHAT WILL I NEED?
You will need:
- English, Maths and ICT at Level 2, or be working towards this level
All applicants must have an initial assessment and interview to confirm that the course is suitable for them.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
You will be continuously assessed throughout the course. Assessment is subject to internal and external verification.
WHAT WILL IT COST?
Entry Level, Level 1, Level 2
If you will be aged 19 or older on 31 August in the year you begin your course, and have been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for the past 3 years, your course will be FREE, regardless of your age or income. Some courses will have other costs associated, such as for materials and trips. Many of our students are eligible for financial support when studying at college – please click here for more information.
WHAT CAN I DO AFTER?
Learners who complete this qualification may wish to progress to other qualifications in Learner Support, such as Level 3 Award for Learning Support Practitioners, and in Teacher Education, such as:
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training
- Level 3 Award in English for Literacy and Language Teaching
- Level 3 Award in Mathematics for Numeracy Teaching