We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you agree to receive all cookies. Continue

The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London

London’s #1 College for Skills

Higher Education Photo

Students at their CONEL Access to University and HE Graduation Ceremony

To apply for a Higher Education Student Loan go to:

New students living in England should submit their finance applications by 31 May and for continuing students by 30 June.

You don’t need to wait for a confirmed place on a higher education course to apply for student finance.

Use the details of the course you’re most likely to study. You can update them in your online account later if they change.

You will need to apply for each year’s student finance that you require by the deadlines stated above.

Repayments will start the April after you leave university or college and the amount that you repay depends on how much you’re earning – currently you have to earn £21,000 or more before tax.

If you’re earning over the repayment threshold, you will have a deduction taken directly from your salary along with your tax and National Insurance. The amount that’s deducted each month/week will show on your payslip and depends on how much you’ve earned in that period.

Find out more at:

It can take up to six weeks to process student finance applications. Make sure you apply early – even if you have a conditional offer – as you can amend or cancel your application if your plans change. 

Further information is available here.

  • The majority of our higher level courses can be funded through a loan, including our HNC/Ds, Foundation Degrees and Honours Degrees. Some of our teacher training courses can be funded through a loan as well.
  • If you have already got a HE qualification you may not qualify for a 2nd student loan to study with us and as such you would have to fund the fees yourself.  However, contact SLC to discuss your previous loan and the possibility of funding, as SFE allow one “gift” year.
  • Eligibility: you will have to have lived in the UK or EU for the immediate 3 years prior to the start date of the course, temporary absence does not count.
  • You will have to send your proof of residency documents, your UK/EU passport, Biometric Card or Birth Certificate if born in the UK only.  Other evidence may be required. (Copies are not accepted, you must send off the originals).

EU Applicants:

If you are an EU Student and have been living in the UK for the last 3 years you can apply for a loan online and are entitled to a maintenance loan. However, you must provide proof of address for the last 3 years without any gaps (not even for a day). Remember to sign and send off your declaration of signature.

If you have been living in the EU for the last 3 years you can apply for a student loan but it has to be a paper based application, downloaded from the SFE website. However, you won’t be eligible for a maintenance loan.

Maintenance loans (loans for living costs) will be available for new full-time students.

  • The maximum maintenance support for students who qualify will be increased to £8,200 a year for students living away from home and studying outside London.
  • If you currently qualify for benefits the maximum loan for students living away from home and studying in London will increase to £11,671.
  • If you currently qualify for benefits the maximum loan for students living at home will increase to £8,144.

Maximum fees for full-time courses will be maintained at £6,000 or £9,000 where an institution has met conditions on widening participation set by the Office for Fair Access (OFFA). 

Further information is available at


Enquiry Form

Please tell us your name

/ /

Please enter your date of birth

Please tell us your email address

Please confirm your email address

Please tell us your mobile number

Please tell us your enquiry

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input