The advanced apprentice completes and oversees work to install, service, maintain and commission domestic hot water, cold water, central heating and sanitation systems using Oil-Fired, Solid Fuel or Renewable Energy. They could complete, oversee and organise work to install, service, maintain and commission domestic plumbing and heating systems, components and gas-fired warm air appliances. Thirdly, they could also complete, oversee and organise work to install, service, maintain and commission domestic plumbing and heating systems, components and gas-fired water and central heating appliances.
One day a week at our Tottenham Centre or Enfield Centre and the rest of the time working closely with an employer.
Average Duration: The apprenticeship runs for 24 months
The Advanced Plumbing Apprenticeship is made up of a framework which includes:
- Plumbing and Heating Diploma Level 3
- Maths Functional Skills Level 2
- English Functional Skills Level 2
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Students can progress on to full time employment as a gas engineer or in commercial plumbing and heating etc.
The apprentice is expected to attend college to attain knowledge training, complete exams and complete workshop tasks. They will also be trained by the employer and expected to complete an online e-portfolio.
Applicants will be assessed and interviewed to demonstrate that they are able to cover the range required by the relevant NVQ at work. In addition, the apprentices are expected to carry out initial assessments in English and Maths where they would be expected to ideally achieve Level 2 in both subject areas. If an apprentice has GCSE Grade C and above in these subjects then they do not have to do functional skills as a part of the apprenticeship.
How to apply
You can apply through the college application. Once you have applied to the college, you will be invited for an interview at the college and also with the potential employer.
Mandatory Units include
- Understand how to organise resources in building services engineering There are three pathways that the apprentice can pursue:
- Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Oil-Fired, Solid Fuel or Environmental)
- Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Gas-Fired Warm Air Appliances)
- Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Gas-Fired Water and Central Heating Appliances)
Sample examples of competency units:
- Understand how to organise resources in building services engineering
- Specific core installation and maintenance
- Understand core gas safety principles for natural
- Understand and carry out electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems and components
- Install, commission, service and maintain domestic plumbing and heating systems
- Tightness test, purge, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 35mm 1¼ diameter in small natural gas installations
- Install, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 35mm 1¼ diameter in domestic and small commercial premises
- Maintain gas water heating and wet central heating appliances
- Install domestic gas water heaters and wet central heating appliances
- Understand and apply domestic sanitation system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance
- Understand and apply domestic cold water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic hot water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic central heating system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques.
Apprenticeship Vacancy Enquiry Form
- Last Updated: 11 January 2018
- Property Maintenance Operative
- Installation Electrician/ Maintenance Electrician
- Intermediate Dry Lining
- Intermediate Maintenance Operations
- Intermediate Brickwork
- Intermediate Wood Occupations
- Intermediate Painting and Decorating
- Intermediate Plumbing
- Advanced Wood Occupations
- Advanced Electrical Installation
- Advanced Plumbing
- Higher Construction and the Built Environment
Health and Social Care
- Healthcare Support Worker (HCSW)
- Adult Care Worker
- Senior Healthcare Support Worker
- Lead Adult Care Worker
- Intermediate Clinical Care
- Intermediate Health and Social Care
- Advanced Clinical Care
- Advanced Clinical Healthcare Maternity Support
- Advanced Health and Social Care
- Higher Care Leadership and Management