An apprenticeship in Hairdressing will give you the skills and expertise needed to work in the hairdressing industry. As a hairdressing apprentice, you’ll work as a salon junior, assisting senior staff while training as a junior stylist.
Average Duration: The apprenticeship runs for 12 to 14 months
The Intermediate Hairdressing Apprenticeship is made up of a framework, which includes:
- Hairdressing NVQ Level 2
- Maths Functional Skills Level 1
- English Functional Skills Level 1
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Apprentices may progress to an Advanced Apprenticeship in Hairdressing, Barbering, Team leading or First Line Management.
The apprentice is expected to attend college to attain knowledge, training and complete online exams. In addition, they will be trained by the employer, which is then assessed by college assessors and put together as an online portfolio.
Applicants will be assessed and interviewed where they will need to demonstrate that they are able to cover the range required by the relevant NVQ at work. In addition, the apprentices are expected to carry out initial assessments in English and Maths where they would be expected to ideally achieve Level 1 in both subject areas. If an applicant has GCSE then they don’t have to do any functional skills as a part of the apprenticeship.
How to apply
You can apply through the college application. Once you have applied to the college, you will be invited for an interview at the college and also with the potential employer.
This qualification can be delivered entirely at the employer’s site and the model of delivery can be designed to meet the needs of the employer.
Course Elements / Sample Course Units
These are the elements of the course, please browse through and select the ones that best match your training and company requirements.
Mandatory units include:
- Style and Dress Hair
- Set and Dress Hair
- Cut Hair Using Basic Techniques
- Colour and Lighten Hair
- Advise and Consult with Clients
- Shampoo and Treat Hair and Scalp
- Develop and Maintain your Effectiveness at Work
- Relax Hair
- Perm and Neutralise Hair
- Plait and Twist Hair
- Salon Reception Duties
Apprenticeship Vacancy Enquiry Form
- Last Updated: 09 May 2017
- Intermediate Smart Meter Installation
- Intermediate Dry Lining
- Intermediate Maintenance Operations
- Intermediate Brickwork
- Intermediate Carpentry and Joinery
- Intermediate Painting and Decorating
- Intermediate Plumbing
- Advanced Carpentry and Joinery
- Advanced Electrical Installation
- Advanced Plumbing
- Higher Construction and the Built Environment