This apprenticeship is aimed at those who provide vital assistance to healthcare professionals that work within the maternity wards/units. They work in clinical services and look after the well-being and comfort of patients. They may have a supervisory role. They move people safely, looking after their well-being and comfort.
Average Duration: The apprenticeship runs for 18 to 24 months
The Advanced Clinical Healthcare Apprenticeship (Maternity Support) is made up of a framework which includes:
- Level 3 Diploma in Clinical Healthcare – Maternity Support Pathway
- Math Functional Skills Level 2
- English Functional Skills Level 2
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Apprentices may progress to higher apprenticeships in in clinical care; care management, team leading.
Applicants will be assessed and interviewed where they will need to demonstrate that they will cover the range required by the relevant NVQ at work. In addition to that the apprentices are expected to carry out initial assessments in English and Math where they would be expected to ideally achieve a level 1 in both the subject areas. If you do have GCSE then you don’t have to do any functional skills as a part of the apprenticeships.
The apprentice is expected to attend college to attain knowledge training and complete online portfolio. In addition to that they will also be trained by the employer which is then assessed by college assessors and put together as an online portfolio.
How to apply
You can apply through the college application. Once you have applied to the college, you will be invited for an interview at the college and also with the potential employer.
Course Elements / Sample Course Units
These are the elements of the course, please browse through and select the ones that best match your training and company requirements.
Mandatory units include:
- Engage in personal development in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Promote communication in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Promote equality and inclusion in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Promote and implement health and safety in health and social care
- Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people
- Promote person-centred approaches in health and social care settings
- The role of the health and social care worker
- Promote good practice in handling information in health and social care settings
- The principles of infection prevention and control
- Causes and spread of infection
- Cleaning, decontamination and waste management
- Principles for implementing duty of care in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
Optional Units Sample:
A minimum of 30 credits must be achieved from the option units – a minimum of 11 credits must be at level 3 or above.
- Care for the physical and nutritional needs of babies and young children
- Care for a newly born baby when the mother is unable to do so
- Care for individuals with urethral catheters
- Carry out personal hygiene for individuals unable to care for themselves
- Undertake physiological measurements
- Select and wear appropriate personal protective equipment for work in healthcare settings
- Support individuals undergoing healthcare activities
- Assist the practitioner to carry out healthcare activities
We can accommodate different models based on the needs of the employer but generally the model is one/half day a week at our Enfield Campus or Tottenham Campus and the rest of the time working closely with an employer.
Apprenticeship Vacancy Enquiry Form
- Last Updated: 09 May 2017
- Property Maintenance Operative
- Installation Electrician/ Maintenance Electrician
- Intermediate Dry Lining
- Intermediate Maintenance Operations
- Intermediate Brickwork
- Intermediate Wood Occupations
- Intermediate Painting and Decorating
- Intermediate Plumbing
- Advanced Wood Occupations
- Advanced Electrical Installation
- Advanced Plumbing
- Higher Construction and the Built Environment
Health and Social Care
- Healthcare Support Worker (HCSW)
- Adult Care Worker
- Senior Healthcare Support Worker
- Lead Adult Care Worker
- Intermediate Clinical Care
- Intermediate Health and Social Care
- Advanced Clinical Care
- Advanced Clinical Healthcare Maternity Support
- Advanced Health and Social Care
- Higher Care Leadership and Management