Intermediate Food and Beverage
This is the hospitality industry’s professional qualification for staff who serve both food and drink in any type of outlet. It is suitable for all hospitality staff who serve food and drinks as part of their normal job role. The NVQ units cover all types of outlets from fine dining restaurants through to popular catering eateries, school canteens, care homes and contract catering sites. This NVQ in Food and Drink Service allows you train while you work, and there are NVQ units to match your normal job role. This qualification is suitable for those already in employment as well as those wishing to enter the hospitality industry. You could progress from this qualification to Team Leading Apprenticeship or the Hospitality Supervision and Leadership Diploma if you get promoted to a supervisory role.
Average Duration: The apprenticeship runs for 12 months
The Intermediate Food and Beverage Apprenticeship is made up of a framework which includes:
- QCF Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Food and Beverage Service
- QCF Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Food and Beverage Services)
- Maths Functional Skills Level 1
- English Functional Skills Level 1
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
There are no formal entry requirements to this qualification. The students will be assessed and interviewed to demonstrate that they are able to cover the range required by the relevant NVQ at work. In addition, the apprentices are expected to carry out initial assessments in English and Maths where they would be expected to ideally achieve Level 1 in both subject areas. If an apprentice has GCSE grade E and above then they do not have to do functional skills as a part of the apprenticeship.
Apprentices may progress to Level 3 advanced apprenticeships in Professional Cookery, Hospitality Supervision or Team Leading qualifications.
This training is delivered entirely on the employer’s premises.
The apprentice is expected to attend on the job and off the job training to attain knowledge, training and complete competency units. In addition, they will be trained by the employer.
How to apply
You can apply through the college application. Once you have applied to the college, you will be invited for an interview at the college and also with the potential employer.
Course Elements / Sample Course Units
Mandatory units include:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, holding and serving food
- Give customers a positive impression
- Work effectively as part of hospitality team
Optional Units include - need to select some of these units:
- Provide a counter and take-away service
- Serve food at the table
- Provide a silver service
- Provide a buffet carvery service
- Serve alcoholic and soft drinks
- Prepare and serve cocktails
- Prepare and serve wines
- Prepare and serve dispensed and instant hot drinks
- Prepare and serve hot drinks using specialist equipment
- Maintain cellars and kegs
- Maintain customer service through effective handover
Apprenticeship Vacancy Enquiry Form
- Last Updated: 09 May 2017
- Intermediate Smart Meter Installation
- Intermediate Dry Lining
- Intermediate Maintenance Operations
- Intermediate Brickwork
- Intermediate Carpentry and Joinery
- Intermediate Painting and Decorating
- Intermediate Plumbing
- Advanced Carpentry and Joinery
- Advanced Electrical Installation
- Advanced Plumbing
- Higher Construction and the Built Environment