This Apprenticeship is for people who work with children from birth to 19 year olds although it focuses on the Early Years Pathway 0-5 years. Childcare Apprentices look after children and ensure that they are safe, learning and reaching their full potential within the setting. This Apprenticeship gives people a fulfilling opportunity to work with children and young people while also gaining an understanding into why we do things that way. Equally, it ensures apprentices put childcare theory into practice.
Average Duration: The apprenticeship runs for 12 to 14 months
The Intermediate Childcare Apprenticeship is made up of a framework which includes:
- Children and Young People’s Workforce Certificate Level 2
- Maths Functional Skills Level 1
- English Functional Skills Level 1
- ICT Functional Skills Level 1
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Apprentices may progress to the Advanced Apprenticeship in Childcare.
The apprentice is expected to attend college to attain knowledge, training and complete their online portfolio. They will also be trained by the employer and assessed by college assessors which is added to the online portfolio.
Applicants will be assessed and interviewed to show that they are able to cover the range required by the relevant NVQ at work. In addition, apprentices are expected to carry out initial assessments in English, Maths and ICT where they would be expected to ideally achieve a Level 1 in each subject area. Apprentices with GCSEs do not have to complete Functional Skills on that subject area.
How to apply
You can apply through the college application. Once you have applied to the college, you will be invited for an interview at the college and also with the potential employer.
Course Elements / Sample Course Units
These are the elements of the course. Please browse through and select the ones that best match your training and company requirements.
Mandatory units include:
- Introduction to Communication
- Introduction to Personal Development
- Introduction to Equality and Inclusion
- Child and Young People’s Development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Maintain and support relationships with children and young people
- Support children and young people’s positive behaviour
- Contribute to support of child and young person’s development
- Support children and young people’s health and safety
- Contribute to the support of positive environments for children and young people
- Understand partnership working in services for children and young people
Optional Units Sample:
- Support children and young people at meal or snack times
- Support children with disabilities and specialist educational needs
- Support children and young people’s play area
- Contribute to the support of children’s communication, language and literacy
- Contribute to the support of children’s creative development
- Introduction to duty of care in health, social care or children’s and young people’s setting
We can accommodate different models based on the needs of the employer but generally the model is one/half day a week at our Enfield Centre or Tottenham Centre and the rest of the time working closely with an employer.
Apprenticeship Vacancy Enquiry Form
- Last Updated: 09 May 2017
- Intermediate Smart Meter Installation
- Intermediate Dry Lining
- Intermediate Maintenance Operations
- Intermediate Brickwork
- Intermediate Carpentry and Joinery
- Intermediate Painting and Decorating
- Intermediate Plumbing
- Advanced Carpentry and Joinery
- Advanced Electrical Installation
- Advanced Plumbing
- Higher Construction and the Built Environment