The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London is proud to be one of the Mayor of London’s Construction Academy hubs. The college successfully bid to become one of the first hubs in the capital after gaining the MCA Quality Mark in recognition of its high quality training.
Our MCA hub is backed by many leading construction employers, training providers and local authorities, and covers Haringey, Enfield, Waltham Forest, Barnet, Barking and Dagenham, Islington, Hackney, Camden, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Westminster and City of London.
The Home Builders Federation has reported that the demand for new housing is outstripping the supply of skilled construction workers, including bricklayers, plumbers and electricians.
The hub will initially support the following major construction projects in the capital:
- £1 billion Tottenham Housing Zone, one of the Mayor’s first flagship projects to build 10,000 homes and create 5,000 new jobs by 2025, and the regeneration of Wood Green to build 6,400 homes and create 4,000 jobs
- £6 billion regeneration at Meridian Water with 10,000 homes and 7,000 jobs created
- £2 billion regeneration programme to transform Barking and Dagenham to build 16,000 new homes and 22,200 jobs at each phase
The MCA programme aims to:
- Boost the number of skilled workers and opportunities in construction, particularly for women, black and ethnic minorities
- Provide more high-quality training and initiatives across the capital to give Londoners the skills needed to enter and progress in construction
- Increase collaboration in the sector, particularly between small and medium sized businesses and construction skills training providers
- Support the development of training provision for the construction of more prefabricated housing in London
The CONEL hub’s theme is Building Services and Innovation and focuses on the following careers:
- Civil engineering groundworkers
- Traffic/street lighting
- Lift access engineering
- Domestic and commercial gas engineering
- Solar and environmental technology
- Air conditioning and ducting
- Sheet metal work
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Domestic and commercial electrical installation and maintenance
- Building Management Systems (BMS)
- Security, data and telecommunications.
- Quantity surveying
- Town planning
- Construction and site administration
The hub will also provide free professional training and development for its partners.