The number of university places being offered to students from the College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London (CONEL) is on the rise.
The College saw 87.8% of applicants offered places in 2016/17 - more than the previous two years - including entry onto degree courses at Russell Group universities.
CONEL offers a wide range of vocational courses as a real alternative to sixth form study, with high grades on Extended Diploma Level 3 courses the equivalent of three A-levels.
The College also offers Access to Higher Education Diplomas to enable those with no formal qualifications to gain the knowledge they need to study at university.
Jessicah Wignal, 20, secured a place at the University of York to study a law degree after achieving a triple Distinction on a Business Extended Diploma Level 3 at CONEL.
“When I was applying I only opted for Russell Group universities. It was agonising waiting for my results, but when I realised I had got a place I was over the moon,” said Jessecah, who has deferred her entry to next September to save up for her degree studies.
She added: “The teachers really pushed us to make sure we got the grades we deserved. If it wasn’t for them, I don’t think I would have made it to university.”
Rasel Basith attained a double-starred triple Distinction on an Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 at CONEL and is now studying a BEng in Computer Systems Engineering at Queen Mary University of London.
The 21-year-old Italian student began his studies on a Level 1 diploma following advice from teachers at CONEL who felt it would help him understand how things work in English.
“My teachers encouraged me to do well, prepared me for exams and when I was doing my Level 3 they recommended which universities I should go to. I am more than proud of what I achieved at college,” he said.
“It was a good feeling getting into university. What CONEL did for me really helped me a lot. It has made my future much brighter.”
Vocational courses at CONEL include Accounting and Business, Construction, Creative and Media, Engineering, Health and Social care, Hair and Beauty, ICT and Computing, Public Services, Science, Sport and Fitness, Travel and Tourism.
Access to Higher Education Diploma courses are available in Accounting, Computing, Engineering, Midwifery, Nursing, Science and Social Work.
- Last Updated: 19 December 2017
- CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE
- Marcia’s supporting Sri Lankans in need
- How is it learning from home during the Coronavirus crisis? - By Student Pierrette Simuene
- CONEL partners with blue chip engineering companies to facilitate hundreds of star apprentices
- Leading London college offering huge range of free online ‘lockdown’ courses
- Media student Joe Watson wins Paul Head Award
- Media students get a taste of the industry at Sky
- CONEL’s Mahdi Radmehr Awarded ‘Maths Teacher of the Year’ at National Skills Conference
- Employability at CONEL
- Royal Navy Engagement Team inspire Public Service students