The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London’s Football Academy run in partnership with Boreham Wood Football Club, picked up their first trophy of the season with a 2 – 1 win over Tower Hamlets College (29 March).

The game was a nervous affair with both sides not wanting to give anything away in the opening exchanges. The College’s Academy adopted an attacking  4-3-3 system with Jermaine Izukanne and Jaac Stone either side of Sebastian Headley spearheading the attacking.

Daniel Longa Longa impressed playing out of position at centre half commanding the back four, made up of Chris Omole, Marvin Birch and Daniel Addae.

The 2nd half sparked into life when Seb Headley finished clinically as he was put through with a defensive slipping pass by Mat Newman, who alongside Captain Abdul Marong dictated the midfield for Wood. Marong has been the rock  of the team excelling on and off the pitch completing a Sports BTEC Level 3 with a Distinction/Merit grade, and is now looking forward to going on to university.

The College’s Academy players worked tirelessly and their breakthrough came after some neat work by Marong, Newman and Stone.

The ball found its way back to Marong who sent it over the opposition keeper and into the back of the net for a 2 – 1 lead.

Academy Coach Ryan Kirby said ‘I am delighted for the team and with the win. The players worked so hard all game and have done all year. The Academy has helped them develop and it will be a memory that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. It just shows that if you have the right attitude, discipline and desire you can achieve great things.’

Spectacular and tough games paved the way to the College Academy team’s victory in the SESSA (Southern England Student Sports Association) Cup Challenge Final.  The team beat Middlesex, 1- 0. Southampton Montefiore 4-2, North West Kent 5-3 and Queens School in Bushey, Hertfordshire Semi Final  5-0, 23 March 2012, Final 28 March Tower Hamlets College.

On 2 May, the College’s Football Academy plays Gower College Swansea at the TNS ground, Wales in the final of the ECFA English Colleges Football Association National Premier Cup.