The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London (CONEL) offers a wide range of vocational courses and apprenticeships. Each year more than 60% of our learners achieve full-time employment within six months of leaving college and hundreds more gain places at university.
Here are 10 reasons why we believe further education is a great place to start building your future.
1, The teachers are experts from their industry to perfectly prepare you for the job or career you’re training for.
2. You can do an apprenticeship and earn while you learn by having a job while also training at college, which in some cases can lead on to study at university.
3. You can still get into university with Level 3 Extended courses, the equivalent to three A-levels, or study an Access to Higher Education course.
4. You can study higher education qualifications such as, Higher Nationals. You can top up your Higher National Diploma to an honours degree with one year’s further study at university.
5. The cost of studying for higher education qualifications at College is much lower than university tuition fees.
6. If you are 16-18 the Government covers the cost of your education, so it’s FREE to study.
7. You get to call your teachers by their first names instead of Sir or Miss.
8. You’re treated more like an adult and have more independence and responsibility for your learning.
9. If you haven’t got the grades for a full apprenticeship you can apply for a pre-apprenticeship where you’ll gain work experience and the skills to get you into work.
10. There is huge demand for skilled jobs in the UK with.employers increasingly demanding a greater element of vocational training be introduced alongside academic studies.
Here’s what our students had to say:
“I wanted to study accountancy and felt college was a better place to do this than school. The teachers are very friendly and helpful, and they give you more time to understand. There are also lots of opportunities for work experience to build your skills and confidence, so you’re ready for work whenever you finish your study.”
Papiya Sulthana, 19, Accounting AAT Level 3
“When I came to the UK aged 17, secondary schools were unable to accept me. Choosing to enrol at CONEL turned out to be the best option. The College gave me the chance to achieve more and learn things that I hadn’t realised before. Everything is explained in a practical way, and I’m treated with respect by my teachers and other students. All in all, my life changed when I came to CONEL.”
Panagiotis Plekis, 19, Diploma in Computing Level 3
“College allows you to focus much more on what you want to do rather than having to study other subjects, which means you can excel more at your career. It’s also a much more relaxed environment and the teachers see you for who you are now. I’m also into karate and the new Martial Arts Academy is brilliant and means I can train full-time with top coaches, which I could never have done at school.”
Ben Storey, 17, Diploma in Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction Level 2
- Last Updated: 13 October 2016