We have signed-up to support Colleges Week, which runs from 15 to 19 October. It’s part of the #LoveOurColleges campaign and will see colleges across the country showcasing the brilliant stuff they do, day in and day out.
The Week is also calling for more funding for Further Education. Why?
Every year 2.2 million people of all ages get some form of educating and training from a Further Education College. Colleges make a phenomenal difference to the lives of thousands of people of all ages every year.
But funding for Further Education is in crisis. Over the last decade, colleges have had an average 30% funding cut which is making it a lot harder for people who really need it, to get the education that they deserve.
So, as well as celebrating the achievements of our staff and students, we are calling for four things:
- For the Government to increase 16-19 funding by 5% a year for five years and extend the pupil premium to cover post-16 students;
- For the Department for Education to provide exceptional funding, ring-fenced for teacher pay;
- Fully funding a National Retraining Scheme to support level 3 to 5 skills;
- Introducing a lifetime learning entitlement to fund skills training for all adults who have not previously achieved a level 3 qualification.
Education is an investment, not a cost. And it must never be a privilege reserved for those who can afford it. Support Colleges Week on Twitter and Facebook with #CollegesWeek and #LoveourColleges
- Last Updated: 09 October 2018